It just seems to me that for a while now I have been wanting to study the Tao te Ching to find out the esoteric attributes of it and that my depressions have always seemed to have gotten in the ways of things. Well, I'm not letting my depression do that anymore and have decided to take an in-depth study of the Tao te ching. I am thinking about the I Ching for after, but for now it will only be about the Tao te Ching. Anyway, I was wanting to gain some thoughts from some of you here who have encountered the Tao Te Ching and if it had impacted your lives in any way, shape or form? I have no experienece as of yet, but am starting today. For a journey of a million miles usually starts with one step..

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, this is one of the books that have helped me

Cool. I have been reading some of it already for right now, and I truly can say this book is a great book. =) 

Sometimes, it is easier to just listen when depressed (just FYI). The Tao te Ching has been out as an audio book for a long time.

On long drives I used to listen to audios of this (and also selections from writings by Dogen - a Zen Master above almost all others; Moon in a Dew Drop is a Good overview). I had to be careful on the road. One can pretty much Zone-out.....   powerful items.

In any case, there is more in this book than most realize. It has a very high signal-to-noise ratio. Few words convey much information. I have found that rereading it again - after several weeks/months/years - it only gets better.

John

Hi :)

Can I ask a question here? Because the Tao De Ching has to be translated for us English readers, I think it is very important which translation we use. One word can change the whole meaning? Do you John, or anyone else have preferences to whose translation would be best?

And thanks for the tip - I'll try and find Moon in a Dew Drop.

I believe it is worse than Chinese to English. The books are rather "ancient" Chinese. They are not something a contemporary person in China can read.

as a starter - I like the books from the Shambhala Pocket Classics. Small, easy to carry and good for waiting rooms at Medical Doctor, Dentist, airport etc.. etc. However, It is good to have more than one translation. The more modern translations can sometimes be the worst.

My process for finding translations goes like this:  Check a University course; I sometimes went to the UC Berkeley Book Store and grabbed the book being used by a class being offered, or had been offered. Also, you can check by publishers.  Oxford Press is often a good place. If you look at references in several books, that also can give a lot of suggestions. The one referenced the most is likely the "classic" that translators start with.  I can look around if you are interested...? 

John

John thanks for this suggestion here. 

Thanks John, for the suggestions. 

I can check it out. :)

I should have added that if you are not too concerned, popular presses (not related to a religious group) can be very good. (I did recommend a booklet from Shambhala <g>).

Thanks John for informing me about this aspect of the book. It seems I will be rereading this book over and over again too so as to try and get out as much of it that I can. =) 

RSS

Search Theosophy.Net!

What to do...

Join Theosophy.Net Blogs Forum Live Chat Invite Facebook Facebook Group

A New View of Theosophy

About
FAQ

Theosophy References

Wiki Characteristics History Spirituality Esotericism Mysticism RotR ToS

Our Friends

© 2024   Created by Theosophy Network.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service