A thought hit me this morning about meditation.  Meditation is considered one of the, if not the main pieces of everyone's spiritual toolkit. Everyone does it a bit differently, even within a given system.  It would be interesting to hear more from everyone here about how we do it.

What are your favorite methods of meditating?

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Joe ,

The meditation that I was doing was based on thought , this was because though I was given a preliminary initiation with mantra and an explanation as to the meaning of the mantra and how it would work and the possible experiences that it would bring in its wake -  I was informed that it was not an end in itself  and that results would be there if I was sincere enough , and no immediate  results would be there if the diksha was not used but kept for a later time in life when I would be more free to do it. Since practice was of the essence and the reason for what the diksha was taken . The initiation ceremony was itself simple - The day I went and met the person asking to be given Initiation , he asked me (it is customary in India) which particular god was my Tutelary Deity . So I told him the name and he asked me to return the next day . The next day I went back and he took me to his Puja room (it was the same room where he used to sleep ). and we both sat cross legged facing each other . He asked everyone else to leave the room , and then meditated maybe for a few minutes , and then asked me to repeat a "Dhyana Shloka" after him - this small poem is a description of the image of a particular god in about 4 lines of sanskrit and which holds the image of the God. I repeated it slowly with him all the while he stopped and explained each word outlining the image to me , and he also said that though the image was specific and I had to whilst sitting for Japa (or meditation ) Repeat this small poem and ''Hold '' the image in my mind . The repetition of the Japa mantra was to be done in the mind and not loudly whilst holding this image in the mind. After these preliminaries , he gave me the mantra proper that I was to do japa . He explained the meaning of the mantra , and its rishi , and then its ''Key'' (Kilakam) - this key he told me would open the mantra up for me after a prescribed time or numbers of times of repetition which would be according to the ''Samkalpa'' that he had given with the mantra . But in any case what he told me was that any mantra when given properly even without a sankalpa would open after the appointed number of times it was recited. (approx - number of letters in the mantra x 100,000 was the upper limit ). He also told me not to be overly concerned with the numbers that I put in and to hold the mental image of the god and repeat the mantra (this both mentally ) .  The result was that (at that time I had not taken to sannyasa )  within a time of 3 months of honest practice 

of Japa two times daily in the morning and evening for about an hour or so - there were some improvements etc . Later the image vanished and the mantra vanished and my breathing became turned in . What I mean to say is that I was unable to recite or conceive either the Mantra or the image and it was a kind of stultified silence , and where I was previously breathing out it had become breathing in and vice versa . I had become incapable of any thought . It was then that when I was wondering as to what to do next and totally clueless as to how things were to be taken ahead (as I was quite aware that neither had I realized god nor god realized me ! ), The gentleman who gave me my initiation unfortunately had gone into samadhi , and was no longer available for consultations , but the saving grace was that - what he had said the mantra would do , it did and It was then that I remembered our half hour of post initiation talk - at which time  he had asked me why I had taken initiation , and I had told him that it was not for any worldly gain but for ''Atma sakshatkar'' (self realization ) - it obviously made him happy and he had advised me that once the mantra died down , I had to do self study , and pursue a path of Jnana , and at the appropriate time I would get a higher initiation into Non dual Vedanta - he did not give any Vedantic initiation as such , but told me that I have to continue studies and the mantra would take to Jnana , and meditation would set in and that I did not possess the basic qualities of Yama ,Niyama,Asteya,Aparigraha etc and that I had to practice this in day to day life till I was capable of receiving knowledge - since it was a very subtle science .  It was subsequent to all this that I took up sannyasa . In later years it became meditation by thought since experience had taught me the lie inherent in silence . It fascinated me and still fascinates me how quickly people say that they are ''in silence'' . It took me full 20 years before I could shut off my internal dialogue at will . Now I am meditating .

Meditation is in my view, a state of being rather than doing, peaking thought free intuitive attention, then resting it and simply allowing...the divine energy to flow, within. In lived reality.

RSS

Search Theosophy.Net!

What to do...

Join Theosophy.Net Blogs Forum Live Chat Invite Facebook Facebook Group

A New View of Theosophy

About
FAQ

Theosophy References

Wiki Characteristics History Spirituality Esotericism Mysticism RotR ToS

Our Friends

© 2024   Created by Theosophy Network.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service