Greetings and good wishes.

I recently ran across this by some unnamed author:  "The Precepts and Aphorisms [of GEMS FROM THE EAST], compiled by "H.P.B.," are culled chiefly from Oriental writings. . . ."

If any of the scholars on this site can confirm this, might it be wise to somehow note "compiling and culling" to the title attribution of our daily contribution feature?  The present "by HPB" does seem to suggest she actually wrote these things herself.

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Richard, I'm not a scholar but I can add something, I think.

Yes, HPB compiled it, mainly from Dhammapada. But there is from the Javidan Khirad too, a persian book of aforism, the Vedas, etc.

Some are, obviously from her pen, specialy the ones related to theosophy.

In this little book the special feature is, perhaps, not the author but the order of aphorism and the effect caused in the student's perception and consciousness after a daily contemplation of each aphorism.

Thanks, Leila, for the informative answer.  (Also, if you are not yet a scholar, I am giving up my own ambitions. . . .)

Leila Becquer said:

Hi Richard, I'm not a scholar but I can add something, I think.

Yes, HPB compiled it, mainly from Dhammapada. But there is from the Javidan Khirad too, a persian book of aforism, the Vedas, etc.

Some are, obviously from her pen, specialy the ones related to theosophy.

In this little book the special feature is, perhaps, not the author but the order of aphorism and the effect caused in the student's perception and consciousness after a daily contemplation of each aphorism.

RSS

Search Theosophy.Net!

What to do...

Join Theosophy.Net Blogs Forum Live Chat Invite Facebook Facebook Group

A New View of Theosophy

About
FAQ

Theosophy References

Wiki Characteristics History Spirituality Esotericism Mysticism RotR ToS

Our Friends

© 2024   Created by Theosophy Network.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service